The flavours of Mexico on weekends, especially if you are tired after a week of hard work and don’t feel like cooking, are always a welcome treat which re-ignites the senses. This Paleo recipe is very easy to prepare in a slow cooker. So, while you rest and chill, you aren’t missing out on any of the healthy dose of veggies, protein and sensational flavours. The Chipotle powder in the recipe has a more ‘smoky’ taste than chilli powder but you can substitute with chilli if you like it hotter. If prepared beforehand, this meal can also be taken in your lunch box to office for a clean healthy eating plan. With cooking sorted, you can easily change into your Activewears and go for a leisure walk, run, do some stretches or focus on your weekend yoga.
Serving(s): 4 / Preparation time: 15 minutes / Cooking time: 7-8 hours
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 5 peppers, red and green, cut into chunks
- 2 large onions, cut into thick slices then halved
- 2tsp chipotle powder
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp ground cumin
- Juice from 2 limes
- Juice from 2 oranges
- 2tsp oil (one that has a high heating point, such as avocado oil)
- 1 litre fresh chicken stock
- 2 cans (800g) chopped tomatoes
- Water, if necessary to prevent drying out
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- If you want to remove skin from chicken, then do so, but it is not necessary and it is acceptable on a paleo diet, just not in excess.
- Heat slow cooker on low. Add oil, onions and peppers.
- Rub the chicken thighs with chipotle powder, garlic and cumin. Marinate in a dish with the lime and orange juice for 15 minutes.
- Place the chicken and its marinade, along with the chicken stock and chopped tomatoes into the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the lid on and cook on low for 7-8 hours. The chicken should fall off the bone and be succulent.
- When ready, serve with a mixed salad or a fruit salsa, such as mango or pineapple for that little sweetness.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 253, Carbohydrates 8g, Fat 13g (of which 4.3 saturates), Protein 26g, Sodium 469mg